No web browsing, but can ping with Ubuntu

Joel Finlinson joel at finlinson.net
Tue Apr 29 13:45:45 MDT 2008

Looking for some help from the collective.

    I install Ubuntu Hardy Heron or LinuxMint Daryna on a new HP 6710b
laptop and I can't browse the web with Firefox.  I can ping yahoo.com or
google.com from a terminal window but cannot browse to them with Firefox
(FF3 Beta5).  This doesn't happen with SLED10 and of course XP.

I've tried doing the about:config and ipv6 filter changing to true and
followed the other suggestions on these links:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?s=36004f7adefb33b96497575224d931cd&t=282034

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=282034&page=4

with no success.

   Any ideas are greatly appreciated.