Ubuntu (Gutsy) + Pidgin + Links = "Denied"

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Mon Apr 28 23:04:04 MDT 2008

Lonnie Olson wrote:

> This problem sounds like you have a company firewall that is rewriting
> the messages.

Except he's at home. I think he mentioned that.

> I am "this close" (shows very small space between fingers) to
> implementing this kind of link blocking via IM for my company.  Over the
> past few months, there have been many viruses spreading via links in IM
> messages.

If your company is a bunch of trolls packing things in boxes, that
sounds like a good idea. If they're developers or other technical
computer workers, it sounds like a terrible idea. I prodded Jacob into
posting this problem because it is constantly hindering our technical
discussions, that help us both to be more productive. The smarter your
people are, the more you hurt productivity with insane draconian
practices like the one you are contemplating. OTOH, the dumber they are
the more you keep them from messing everything up.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

     -- Johann Sebastian Bach