Ubuntu (Gutsy) + Pidgin + Links = "Denied"

Jacob Fugal lukfugl at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 15:49:35 MDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 1:15 PM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
> Lonnie Olson wrote:
>  > This problem sounds like you have a company firewall that is rewriting
>  > the messages.

Nope. This problem is only on my home machines (I use a Mac with Adium
at work) and manifests itself whether I'm on the company VPN or not.
When I'm not on the VPN, the only elements are: 1) my machine, 2) my
router, 3) xmission, 4) the big bad web. I'm fairly certain it's not
the router or xmission, as the symptom is unique to my ubuntu
machines; my wife's windows machine does not have the same problem.

>  I concur with Lonnie's assessment.  However this begs a question.
>  Jacob, you *do* use the de-facto standard, "off-the-record" encryption
>  plugin in pidgin as a matter of course, right?

I have in the past, and plan to install it on this machine, but
haven't yet (unless ubuntu's packaging of pidgin comes with it
preinstalled which would be awesome).

Jacob Fugal