Ubuntu (Gutsy) + Pidgin + Links = "Denied"

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Mon Apr 28 13:12:05 MDT 2008

On Mon, 2008-04-28 at 11:49 -0600, Jacob Fugal wrote:
> The issue is that whenever I receive a link or attempt to send a link
> to a contact in a private chat, I get the following message (it
> displays inline, attributed to the person who's attempting to paste
> the link):
>
> "Your system policy has denied the requested action."
>
> Apparently it's limited to specific protocols; I just noticed I was
> able to receive a link in a work IRC chatroom fine. I've had it happen
> for certain with my AIM account, but I think I recall it happening
> with my Jabber and Yahoo as well.

This problem sounds like you have a company firewall that is rewriting
the messages.

I am "this close" (shows very small space between fingers) to
implementing this kind of link blocking via IM for my company.  Over the
past few months, there have been many viruses spreading via links in IM
messages.

I would try using the same computer on a network not controlled by that
organization to verify.

--lonnie