Ubuntu (Gutsy) + Pidgin + Links = "Denied"

Jacob Fugal lukfugl at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 11:49:45 MDT 2008

I was wondering if anyone out there would be able to shed some light
an a weird issue I'm having with Pidgin 2.2.1 on Ubuntu 7.10 (Ubuntu
'pidgin' package, version 1:2.2.1-1ubuntu4.1).

The issue is that whenever I receive a link or attempt to send a link
to a contact in a private chat, I get the following message (it
displays inline, attributed to the person who's attempting to paste
the link):

"Your system policy has denied the requested action."

Apparently it's limited to specific protocols; I just noticed I was
able to receive a link in a work IRC chatroom fine. I've had it happen
for certain with my AIM account, but I think I recall it happening
with my Jabber and Yahoo as well.

It is also not just this computer (my laptop), but has also occurred
on my desktop computer, also running Ubuntu and I believe it's the
same version of Pidgin (it's up to date).

I've tried google, no relevant results, except a few that make it look
like it might be a filtering proxy, but I have not installed any such
proxies on either machine nor on my router, and my wife's computer
(Windows) has no problems sending or receiving links.

I'll probably go ahead and get the 2.2.1 source and grep to see if
it's in there, but thought I'd ask here in case anyone had ideas off
the top of their heads...

Thanks,

Jacob Fugal