64-bit - is it worth it?

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Fri Apr 25 19:38:00 MDT 2008

Stuart Jansen wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-04-24 at 14:47 -0600, Hans Fugal wrote:
>>> Just to stir the pot, the new dev kernel is switching to 4k stacks for
>>> x86. Stability problems may force this change to be reverted. Or you can
>>> avoid the whole mess by using x86_64: http://lwn.net/Articles/279352/
>>> and http://lwn.net/Articles/279229/
>> The only thing I learned from the second link is that you seem to be a
>> LWN subscriber. Congratulations.
>
> Ah. Well then. It'll be free in a week or so. Until then, I strongly
> recommend an LWN subscription. I know of nothing else quite like it.

Well, I have LWN in my feeds, and although the occasional interesting
article comes up I have as yet failed to see anything (even those
subscriber-only postings) that even motivate me to find out how much
they charge. They're cool enough, but if they want my subscription (and
maybe they don't) they'll have to step up to the plate.

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

     -- Johann Sebastian Bach