VPS on the cheap

Steven Alligood steve at bluehost.com
Fri Apr 25 11:58:25 MDT 2008

chabon wrote:
>>  Yeah, interesting that.
>>
>>  It seems that he was using shared hosting and claiming to be a full Tier 1
>> mirror for centOS.
>>
>>  Basically, Bluehost was found to be hosting more than 30 different mirrors
>> for centOS, netBSD, fedora, etc, from various customers.  Mirroring those
>> large repos daily pounds sufficiently to cause problems for other customers
>> on the shared host.
>>
>>  Most of the customers that want to be repos do not understand what it takes
>> to be a repo, and are perfectly happy with making the host deal with the
>> issues.
>>
>>  Bluehost is setting up a public mirror for centOS and ubuntu, with possibly
>> more; they don't need dozens of copies of that same repo causing a large
>> number of problems for a large number of customers.
>>
>>  -Steve
>>

> Granted, his choice of content to host is questionable and the overall
> service is not ideal for that content, but the issue I have is more
> regarding the offering, not the choice of content:
>

>> They offer 1,500 Gigabyte Hosting 15,000 GIGS transfer but they shut your
>> site down!?!?!
>>
> -vs-
>
>> I have only been using
>> about 250 gig of space and 650 gig of bandwidth a month..
>>

> That is well within the limits advertised and if the content is
> technically within the TOS/AUP, even if it's a poor choice of content,
> I still say beware. The cheap virtual host companies are overselling
> like crazy and to keep their prices low they bump their larger users
> for using more than most but less than the advertized plan limits.
>
> Chab

Bluehost has a large number of customers that are getting exactly what
is advertised.  Customers are never let go for using bandwidth or drive
space, although sometimes they have to be moved to other servers to
accommodate them.  What customers are let go for is causing problems for
other customers, which often results from CPU pounding or constant heavy
drive I/O, and mirroring large active repos does both of those.