vagaries on java varieties

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Thu Apr 24 09:39:55 MDT 2008

Justin Findlay <justin at jfindlay.us> writes:
> This sounds quite good.  My main complaint against java is that there's
> so many different names, concurrent but apparently conflicting version
> number schemes, environments, specializations, and aftermarket rebundles
> that it's hard to know what to think when someone says 'java' or when
> they want you to 'install java'.  Is that indicative of fragmentation or
> am I just a little naive?

At work, we have to use several crappy Java programs (not Java's
fault, of course), and several of them are very particular about their
Java versions.  Having to have several versions of the JRE installed
kind of sucks, but at least some of the blame probably lies with the
programmers of said crappy applications.

                --Levi