64 bit Linux, flash, and firefox ETA?

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 23:27:37 MDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 7:44 PM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > I believe this is true of java applications. I don't remember waiting
>  > around for a java application to start recently (and I use a few).
>  >
>  > But boy can I tell when I visit the first site with a java app on it in
>  > firefox. *Something* is still wrong there.
>
>  True enough.  In this case, hyperbole is called for. :)

I know I've beat this horse to death, but if you're interested at all,
note that Sun and friends are completely aware that Java applets have
heretofore sucked (at least for non-corporate/intranet facing stuff).
Here is a humorous blog entry about the "feedback" Sun got from
desktop/applet Java users (and how they intended to address their
concerns).
http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/javase/consumerjre/

The solution is the "Consumer JRE":
    * Quickstarter. Radically reduce the startup time for Java
applications and applets.
    * Java Kernel. Reduce the time to install and launch when the user
needs to install the JRE in order to run an application.
    * Deployment toolkit. Enable easy detection and installation of the JRE.
    * Installer improvements. Improve the user experience of installation.
    * Graphics performance on Microsoft Windows. Enable default
graphics acceleration for simple and advanced 2D rendering. (Linux is
already using an OpenGL accelerated graphics pipeline for 2D
rendering).
    * Nimbus look and feel. Release a new cross-platform look and feel
based on Synth.

You can download the beta here:
http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/javase/java6u10/index.html

The uber improved Java browser plugin only works with FF3 (at least
with this beta), so unless you're running FF3 beta, you won't notice
much of a difference over the old plugin.

-Bryan