64 bit Linux, flash, and firefox ETA?

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 17:35:59 MDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 4:12 PM, Andrew Jorgensen
<andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Here's a link to a list of the many many languages that run on the CLR:
>  http://dotnetpowered.com/languages.aspx

I counted 122 languages that run on the CLR on that page.

I counted 215 languages that run on the JVM on this page:
http://www.robert-tolksdorf.de/vmlanguages.html

>  Not to mention that Java can also be made to run on the CLR.

And C# (or any MSIL code) can run on the JVM using Grasshopper (a
commercial plugin for VS).

>  My own opinion: Mono and Moonlight will never be a factor in tipping the
>  desktop market toward Linux.  They will be a factor in businesses
>  choosing to use Silverlight vs. Flash which will be a win for MS.
>
>  If the desktop market does tip toward Linux some day MS wants to be
>  relevant and profitable anyway and pulling some patent stunt to
>  submarine Mono and Moonlight doesn't help them win in that market.
>
>  MS already knows that Linux is eating into their market share.  Instead
>  of showing their teeth they're trying to figure out how to stay relevant
>  in a market that no longer rewards them for playing dirty.

I can see this being the case, and I hope that it will be.

-Bryan