64 bit Linux, flash, and firefox ETA?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 16:56:58 MDT 2008

Bart Whiteley wrote:
> Note, Moonlight is C++, and doesn't use Mono.  Moonlight 2.0 will
> embed the Mono VM to add the ability to script Moonlight in the
> various languages supported by the VM, but the core will still be
> native.

Nice.  That's really interesting.  Just from passive interest I had
always thought it was implemented in .NET from the beginning since MS
sort of touted silverlight as a way of utilizing CLR languages to build
a rich web app.  I had no idea silverlight 1.0 was javascript only.
Will silverlight 2.0 use javascript as a CLR language
(compile-on-the-fly to bytecode or something)?

So I guess long-term, people can stick with a very open-source 1.0
implementation (supporting only javascript) if they wished, or go with
the heavier, full .net system.  I wonder how companies deploying
silverlight will choose to go here.