64 bit Linux, flash, and firefox ETA?

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 16:12:04 MDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 15:31 -0600, Bryan Sant wrote:
> Flex is limited to ActionScript 3 (which is Adobe's implementation of
> ECMAScript 4 -- aka JavaScript 2), but due to the wide use of
> JavaScript, I don't think that this one language only limit is an
> issue for most developers.

Suppose you needed to use some complex math library (to make it more
realistic let's say it's a finance math library).  If you're using
ActionScript you get to reimplement it in ActionScript.  If you're using
Silverlight you just drop the assembly in place and you're done.

I guess technically that depends on this math library being available in
a .NET language but that's more likely than that it would be available
in JS.

> JavaFX and the soon-to-be-released Java 6u10 plugin (which makes the
> JVM load fast and Java applets not suck) can access any Java class.
> So you can use any langauge that runs on the JVM (which exceeds the
> number of languages that can run on the CLR).  Ruby, Python, JavaFX
> Script, BeanShell, Groovy, Scala, Scheme, etc.

Here's a link to a list of the many many languages that run on the CLR:
http://dotnetpowered.com/languages.aspx

Not to mention that Java can also be made to run on the CLR.

> Hypothetically speaking, do you think that MS would stand idle while a
> Mono/Moonlight powered world eventually starts to tip the desktop
> market towards Linux?  I don't think there's any risk when using Mono
> right now.  I agree that MS wants .NET everywhere...  Right now.
> However, personally, I do worry that future popularity of Linux may
> eat into MS market share and that's when they'll show their teeth.

My own opinion: Mono and Moonlight will never be a factor in tipping the
desktop market toward Linux.  They will be a factor in businesses
choosing to use Silverlight vs. Flash which will be a win for MS.

If the desktop market does tip toward Linux some day MS wants to be
relevant and profitable anyway and pulling some patent stunt to
submarine Mono and Moonlight doesn't help them win in that market.

MS already knows that Linux is eating into their market share.  Instead
of showing their teeth they're trying to figure out how to stay relevant
in a market that no longer rewards them for playing dirty.