64 bit Linux, flash, and firefox ETA?

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 15:48:00 MDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 1:47 PM, Michael Torrie <torriem at gmail.com> wrote:
>   In this sense .NET languages are much better than Java, which is not
>  well-integrated on any platform!  And Java's startup time isn't bad
>  these days either, so let's let this old piece of FUD die.

In your defense, Java has only addressed these issues fairly recently.
 However, Swing apps (using Java 6) on XP/Vista is indistinguishable
from the native widgets -- not unlike Qt.  The GTK+ theme for Swing on
Linux is crappy though.  However, to compare apples-to-apples, a Java
app binding to the GTK+ libs like Mono does (or using SWT witch is
actually pushing native widgets on the target platform) has perfect
native integration.

The default UI toolkit provided by Java is Swing.  However, there are
several popular native-binding alternatives.  However, for this
discussion, I think the point is moot.  When talking about Rich
Internet Applications that Flex, Silverlight, and JavaFX target,
producing a native looking app is not only irrelevant, it's typically
avoided.

-Bryan