64 bit Linux, flash, and firefox ETA?

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 15:38:20 MDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:19 PM, Justin Findlay <justin at jfindlay.us> wrote:
>  Mono is orders of magnitude faster than JavaScript?  Javascript is
>  implemented in my browser, whereas mono, I assume, must be provided by
>  an external runtime like java is.  You might as well say that a java app
>  is orders of magnitude than javascript, but in order to fully appreciate
>  all that java speed traditionally you have to wait for the great java
>  runtime to lumber into RAM and sit there just to run some client side
>  webapp.

This has been fixed with the soon-to-be-released Java 6u10 (aka
Consumer JRE) release.
https://jdk6.dev.java.net/6u10ea.html#Overview
https://jdk6.dev.java.net/plugin2/

Though I doubt the startup times for this new plugin will be faster
than Flash -- it's still a plugin to the browser and not natively
integrated like JavaScript.

-Bryan