64 bit Linux, flash, and firefox ETA?

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Wed Apr 23 13:07:22 MDT 2008

Justin Findlay <justin at jfindlay.us> writes:

> Mono is orders of magnitude faster than JavaScript?  Javascript is
> implemented in my browser, whereas mono, I assume, must be provided by
> an external runtime like java is.  You might as well say that a java app
> is orders of magnitude than javascript, but in order to fully appreciate
> all that java speed traditionally you have to wait for the great java
> runtime to lumber into RAM and sit there just to run some client side
> webapp.

Yes, Moonlight is a plugin with a language runtime in it, somewhat
like the JVM.  However, so is Flash.  And the Javascript built into
the browser isn't terribly different; it's just another DLL.  If you'd
tried the Silverlight demos, you'd know that the experience is much
closer to Flash than it is to Java, and you wouldn't have to spread
FUD out of ignorance.

                --Levi