64 bit Linux, flash, and firefox ETA?

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 13:01:36 MDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 12:19 -0600, Justin Findlay wrote:
> On AD 2008 April 23 Wednesday 11:17:32 AM -0600, Andrew Jorgensen wrote:
> > Mono is orders of magnitude faster than JavaScript.  Tamarin may help
> > that some.   There's this cool Silverlight demo where you can play the
> > same chess algorithm against itself, one in JS and the other in .NET.
> > .NET is around 100 times faster (and always wins).  I'm sure there are
> > many factors involved there but it's enough of a difference to impress
> > anyway.
>
> Mono is orders of magnitude faster than JavaScript?  Javascript is
> implemented in my browser, whereas mono, I assume, must be provided by
> an external runtime like java is.  You might as well say that a java app
> is orders of magnitude than javascript, but in order to fully appreciate
> all that java speed traditionally you have to wait for the great java
> runtime to lumber into RAM and sit there just to run some client side
> webapp.

That's fair enough.  I don't think Moonlight takes as long to load as
Java does though.

> > Early adopters have reported things like that they were able to
> > re-implement their flash apps that took a year to develop in a week or
> > so.
>
> That sounds somewhat misleading.  Perhaps they spent a year developing
> their flash app from scratch and then refactored it into silverlight in
> a week?

If you can show people how to refactor their Flash applications into
Silverlight in a week without reimplementing you'll be a rich man.
You're right that having implemented something once it's easier to
reimplement but what people are saying is that it's easier to target
Silverlight than to target Flash.