64 bit Linux, flash, and firefox ETA?

Justin Findlay justin at jfindlay.us
Wed Apr 23 12:19:00 MDT 2008

On AD 2008 April 23 Wednesday 11:17:32 AM -0600, Andrew Jorgensen wrote:
> Mono is orders of magnitude faster than JavaScript.  Tamarin may help
> that some.   There's this cool Silverlight demo where you can play the
> same chess algorithm against itself, one in JS and the other in .NET.
> .NET is around 100 times faster (and always wins).  I'm sure there are
> many factors involved there but it's enough of a difference to impress
> anyway.

Mono is orders of magnitude faster than JavaScript?  Javascript is
implemented in my browser, whereas mono, I assume, must be provided by
an external runtime like java is.  You might as well say that a java app
is orders of magnitude than javascript, but in order to fully appreciate
all that java speed traditionally you have to wait for the great java
runtime to lumber into RAM and sit there just to run some client side
webapp.

> Early adopters have reported things like that they were able to
> re-implement their flash apps that took a year to develop in a week or
> so.

That sounds somewhat misleading.  Perhaps they spent a year developing
their flash app from scratch and then refactored it into silverlight in
a week?

Justin