Securing SSH access

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Tue Apr 22 16:02:26 MDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 15:32 -0600, Kimball Larsen wrote:
> So, with a little shell script, let's see just how much of that
> tedious old typing we can eliminate:
>
> Old way:
> ssh -l admin -p2774 208.100.143.156 = 35 characters
>
> New way:
> a = 1 character

Awesome, talk about hyper efficiency.  You rule!

Personally I suggest just using aliases instead of little shell scripts.
I actually used to do something similar.  My .bashrc would scrape out
the hostnames from my .ssh/known_hosts file and autocreate aliases for
each one.

However each time I wanted to connect to a new server, it would be
counter productive because I would type the hostname first, get an
error, then type in "ssh hostname".

I have since settled on a balance of efficiency and maintenance.  "ssh
hostname"  New hosts work (because they listen on 22), it's fast to
type, and doesn't require any per-host setup.

--lonnie