Setting up Rails for Virtual Hosting?

Lonnie Olson lists at kittypee.com
Tue Apr 22 15:05:39 MDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 12:18 -0600, Steve Morrey wrote:
> Ok so I've finally decided to drink the kewl-aid and use Ruby on Rails
> as a
> framework for some new sites I want to bring online.
> It's all installed and running except that according to the directions
> used which are located here...
> http://wiki.rubyonrails.org/rails/pages/RailsOnCentos
> It appears that only one website can use rails.
> I get that from the fact that according to the instructions we update
> the
> lighttpd.conf file but it is setup for a single dedicated server
> instance.
> Does anyone know how I might setup my own virtual / shared hosting
> environment for Rails?  Is there a better way for this?

This problem, deployment, is my main gripe with Ruby on Rails.  Compared
to alternatives (won't mention here for fear of starting a flame war),
it is much more complicated.

If you are going to use lighttpd (a good choice IMHO), an option you
have for virtual hosting, is to run all requests through a single Apache
instance, and using mod_proxy, re-route these requests to multiple
instances of lighttpd.  Gives you much of the power of Apache, and the
speed/efficiency of lighttpd.

There are many other options though besides lighttpd that might just be
simpler.  Though I don't completely know them.

--lonnie