Pulseaudio ftl!

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 09:21:43 MDT 2008

Hans Fugal wrote:
> Pray tell what is so appealing in pulseaudio that you should put up with
> this crap?

The only crap that is up with which I put is from these crappy
proprietary companies.  Everything else totally rocks.

Among its many features (some more immediately useful than others):

- per-application volume control, which is really nice when you have
background music playing and want to watch a video clip.  This is a
feature I use *all the time*.
- multiple input and output streams, set up per application.  For
example, you could have your front jacks on your computer be set up for
voip, and have your rear jacks hook up to your normal speakers for
regular music and video
- multiple sound card support

PulseAudio finally brings the state of Linux audio into modern times.
And I for one am very happy all major distros are moving to it.  It's
about time.