64 bit Linux, flash, and firefox ETA?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 09:21:33 MDT 2008

Barry Roberts wrote:
> Michael Torrie wrote:
>> Actually, on my 32-bit Fedora 8 install, flash crashes constantly.  The
>> problem is how flash talks to alsa, which has real problems with
>> pulseaudio.  ... This is definitely a huge downside to proprietary software.
>>
> I wouldn't blame Adobe for that yet.  My mplayer on f8 (from livna, I
> think) still doesn't work with pulseaudio.  If I don't use -ao oss my
> computer is too slow (according to mplayer) to play the 640x480 videos
> off my wife's camera.  Or anything else.

Actually it Adobe is to blame here.  mplayer works fine for me in
general, as does VLC, and every other open source audio/video program.
None of these latter programs deal especially with pulseaudio.  Instead
they just talk Alsa, which pulseaudio claims to be.

As for the videos that you speak of, mplayer has always struggled with
them on any sound system.  Convert them to a sane format (like xvid or
something) and they play much, much nicer.  Raw jpeg video streams are
typically not dealt with well by any program other than QuickTime Player
in my experience.