64 bit Linux, flash, and firefox ETA?

Michael Torrie torriem at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 09:10:24 MDT 2008

Nathan Blackham wrote:
> There is the key right there.  32-bit.  Many of those who have
> annoyances with flash run 64bit.  For me for example.  Flash will dies
> either on some pages, i.e. the new dilbert.com, or after a certain
> amount of time, so if I leave my browser up for a while trying to
> maintain some information that I have up and then try to go to a flash
> site.  suddenly flash is dead.  and it doesn't just affect new pages.
> It affects anything that was flash that was previously open.

Actually, on my 32-bit Fedora 8 install, flash crashes constantly.  The
problem is how flash talks to alsa, which has real problems with
pulseaudio.  A plugin that is supposed to help flash deal with
pulseaudio (3rd-party) helps out a lot, but has its own issues.  It's a
messy situation and I wish adobe would just fix the original issue so
this kludge wouldn't be necessary.  So far the main closed-source
applications that I use occasionally, flash, Skype, and Gizmo, all don't
deal well with pulseaudio even though they are supposed to be talking
Alsa.  It's very annoying and all three companies are reticent to fix
the problem.  This is definitely a huge downside to proprietary software.