64 bit Linux, flash, and firefox ETA?

Barry Roberts blr at robertsr.us
Tue Apr 22 09:04:35 MDT 2008

Nathan Blackham wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 15:35 -0600, Bryan Sant wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 3:27 PM, Andrew McNabb <amcnabb at mcnabbs.org> wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 03:20:28PM -0600, Bryan Sant wrote:
>>>  > and because Adobe has provided a decent Linux version of Flash player,
>>>
>>>  Ha!
>>>
>> Sheesh.  I'm detecting that I'm in the minority of persons having an
>> acceptable experience with Flash.  I don't have anything to complain
>> about beyond flash ads being annoying.  What is it about Flash on FF +
>> Linux that is any different than say Flash on IE6 + XP?
>>
>> I'm running Flash Player 9 32-bit on Ubunty 7.10.  Works great 99.9%
>> of the time.
>>

> There is the key right there.  32-bit.  Many of those who have
> annoyances with flash run 64bit.  For me for example.  Flash will dies
> either on some pages, i.e. the new dilbert.com, or after a certain
> amount of time, so if I leave my browser up for a while trying to
> maintain some information that I have up and then try to go to a flash
> site.  suddenly flash is dead.  and it doesn't just affect new pages.
> It affects anything that was flash that was previously open.
>
> Nathan

I run it 32 bit at home and at work, and it still drives me nuts.  I
have z-order problems that render lots of flash-heavy sites unusable.
Menus above flash tend to pop under the flash below them and I can't
select them.  If that's the only navigation they provide, I'm dead.  I
was just at Toyota.com last night and could barely use it.  Grr.

Barry