backing up windows files to linux host

Mike Lovell mike at dev-zero.net
Mon Apr 21 19:28:58 MDT 2008

Greg Warner wrote:
> I have a dreamhost account that has 500gb+ of space to which I'd like to
> backup the contents of my "My Documents" folder on a windows machine.
>
> Currently, I'm using the scripting features of WinSCP to do it.  It works
> well, but the connection drops randomly at times (usually in the middle of a
> large file), it makes no attempt to automatically reconnect, and when I
> reconnect manually it doesn't really pick up where it left off.  (I'm not
> sure if it will ever go back and finish the file).
>
> I've also read of cwRsync as being a viable option.
>
> Anybody have any experience with this?
>
> Greg

<shameless plug> For backup, you should look at Mozy.com. You can even
get 2GB for free.</shamless plug>
Enough marketing though. For doing a back up to a remote location, rsync
is a great tool since it will only send over the differences in files
and can figure out where it left off in a backup. I would install it
with cygwin (mainly cause i do use cygwin occasionally) and then set up
a script to work through the windows 'scheduled tasks' section of the
control panel. That would be a somewhat simple way of doing it.

Mike