64 bit Linux, flash, and firefox ETA?

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Mon Apr 21 16:45:28 MDT 2008

"Bryan Sant" <bryan.sant at gmail.com> writes:

> The VM at the core of FP9 is Tamarin.  Developed by Adobe and then
> open sourced and managed by Mozilla.  The VM will be included in FF3,
> and is the reason that FF3 has such wicked fast javascript execution
> times.
> http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tamarin/
>
> Flash Player 9 is proprietary, but they've open sourced the core of
> the runtime.  Progress.

I was aware of Tamarin, but I didn't know it was the same engine as
Flash Player 9.  Thanks for bringing that up!  That brings Adobe ahead
in code openness in this space, but it doesn't seem to help bring an
open cross-platform multimedia framework to Linux.

> Very interesting.  I checked out the Moonlight screencast (ironically
> thanks to Adobe, flash player, and YouTube) and was really impressed.
> Moonlight seems to be very functional.  The one thing that would hold
> me back from Moonlight/Mono development on Linux would be decent dev
> tools.  Seems like you're always at a disadvantage in the MonoDevelop
> world compared to VS.NET.

I worked a bit in Visual Studio for a school project.  It may be
because I didn't delve too deeply into it, but I wasn't blown away by
it, and I'd be fine using MonoDevelop (or emacs, more likely) to
develop Silverlight stuff, if I were to ever do so.

                --Levi