64 bit Linux, flash, and firefox ETA?

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 16:36:53 MDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Levi Pearson <levi at cold.org> wrote:
>  Adobe Flash:
>       Proprietary runtime provided by a single vendor

The VM at the core of FP9 is Tamarin.  Developed by Adobe and then
open sourced and managed by Mozilla.  The VM will be included in FF3,
and is the reason that FF3 has such wicked fast javascript execution
times.
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tamarin/

Flash Player 9 is proprietary, but they've open sourced the core of
the runtime.  Progress.

>       Proprietary language (though based on a standard one)
>       Linux binary-only support from Adobe
>
>  Microsoft Silverlight:
>       Standard language infrastructure (ECMA-334)
>       Standard languages (ECMA-334, Iron Python, Iron Ruby, etc.)
>       Microsoft binary-only runtime for Windows/MacOS
>       Novell supplied, MS sanctioned runtime for Linux (open source)

Very interesting.  I checked out the Moonlight screencast (ironically
thanks to Adobe, flash player, and YouTube) and was really impressed.
Moonlight seems to be very functional.  The one thing that would hold
me back from Moonlight/Mono development on Linux would be decent dev
tools.  Seems like you're always at a disadvantage in the MonoDevelop
world compared to VS.NET.

-Bryan