(UTOPIA) Tax Alert : Stop 150% tax pledge increase

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Mon Apr 21 15:30:17 MDT 2008

Corey Edwards <tensai at zmonkey.org> writes:

> I would point out that standards are currently being drafted for 40
> gigabit and 100 gigabit ethernet over fiber. That's a lot higher than
> the currently offered 15-45mbps on Utopia and much more than the copper
> offerings of cable and telcos. There is plenty of room for improvement
> using fiber infrastructure. Think about how much we've (ab)used the
> copper that was laid so many decades ago. My copper wiring is 40 years
> old and it supports 1.5mbps DSL. I don't think it's too much to expect
> 20-30 years of useful life from fiber.

Some Bell Labs scientists apparently calculated that, theoretically,
you could send 100 terabits/s of data over fiber optics using
wavelength division multiplexing.  Now, there are different kinds of
fiber-optic cable with different characteristics, and I'm not sure
what's being installed.  That could make a difference as to what the
ultimate bandwidth limit is.  But whatever it is, there's plenty of
headroom for growth.

                --Levi