64 bit Linux, flash, and firefox ETA?

Bryan Sant bryan.sant at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 15:20:28 MDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 3:00 PM, Justin Findlay <justin at jfindlay.us> wrote:
>  flash seems good for is strongbad and youtube, except I don't know why
>  they couldn't have done youtube just with javascript.

Hmmm...  Ya, good question.  I'm pretty sure they'll have a streaming
video decoder implemented in JavaScript any day now :-).

No doubt there are some issues and frustrations with Flash player in
the browser from time to time.  However, I've personally never had a
more problem-free experience viewing online streaming video on Linux,
than when I use Flash.  Because of Flash's dominance as a streaming
video player, and because Adobe has provided a decent Linux version of
Flash player, I no longer have to send hate mail to websites that
would otherwise host their video content in a proprietary (typically
Microsoft-only) encoding.

Unless I install proprietary codecs for mplayer (legally
questionable), the plugin is virtually useless, and even then it has
always been buggy for me.  Flash-based video has been a huge
improvement.  Granted it's not an OSS solution, but imagine how Linux
unfriendly the online video world would be without Flash (MS would
have free reign).

I say, three cheers for Adobe giving a crap about Linux and making
Flash player 9 work well with GTK+ and Linux.

-Bryan