(UTOPIA) Tax Alert : Stop 150% tax pledge increase

Von Fugal von at fugal.net
Mon Apr 21 13:43:25 MDT 2008

<quote name="Chris" date="Thu, 17 Apr 2008 at 02:49 -0600">
> Yes, fiber will probably go far by today's standards.  But who can
> predict what will come along in two or three decades?  If you think
> you can reliably predict which as-yet-invented networking technologies
> we'll all be using ten years hence, let alone twenty or thirty, I
> submit that you are kidding yourself. :-)  My own self-deluded
> prediction is that those technologies, whatever they may be, will make
> landline fiber-optics look like 9600 baud modems.  And yet we'll still
> be making payments on UTOPIA bonds.

You are absolutely right. No one can predict the future, not even you.
Maybe there will be something inconceivable in 20 years, maybe fiber's
potential is already inconceivable. The best we can do is effectively
utilize the technologies available to us NOW.

> I think I understand the loan problem.  The objective measures I have
> in mind are the "take rate" and the revenue per subscriber figures,
> both of which are reported to have fallen short of projections, and
> both of which are unrelated to the loan problems.  Those two objective
> measures relate directly to the overall financial success of the
> project and hence have some power to predict the probability that the
> city governments will be called upon to make good on bond payments.

I see where you're coming from with a lot of your points, like burden on
the uneffected. I'm not totally convinced one way or the other on
utopia, but my selfish side would sure like to have it right now! One
thing going for utopia though is that it *is* at the city level, which
minimizes the aforementioned burden your neighbor problem.

I take real issue with that last paragraph though. Boiled down it reads
"you shouldn't support it because not enough people are supporting it."
You know, like "take a puff! everyone is doing it!" If you want to
appose it being adopted in the first place then go to council meetings,
vote, whatever. But don't try to sabatoge it from succeeding when it's
already in implementation stage.

Von Fugal
--
Freedom is Popular