64 bit Linux, flash, and firefox ETA?

Matthew Frederico mfrederico at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 13:32:07 MDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 10:41 AM, Brandon Stout <bms at mscis.org> wrote:

> Related to the recent 64bit migration thread, I'm wondering if anyone
> knows when Adobe will have a fix for the browser plugin for flash on
> Firefox?  Currently I work around it by telling everyone to use Konquerer
> for flash game sites (or to simply not use them altogether...), but I'd
> still like to know if this will be fixed soon.
>
> On a related note, 64 bit has been out a few years now... why's it still
> not fixed?
>
> Brandon Stout
> Stout Hosting LLC

As far as I am aware, it's not an issue in the flash player, but the
"nspluginwrapper"  that firefox uses to wrap it's 32 bit plugins to run on a
64 bit platform keeps crashing.  I find that it tends not to crash (as
often) if I open my flash apps in a second TAB.

I develop with openlaszlo, so I am constantly refreshing my flash
environment.

I have also read (but not confirmed) that the flash stability issues can be
resolved by using the 32 bit firefox, and removing nspluginwrapper
completely, then reinstalling the flash plugin from the .tgz in your user's
FF plugin directory.

Also, another trick I used was to actually run FF as root.  Seemed to keep
it more stable.

Hope that helps!

-- Matthew Frederico