limiting postgresql

Dennis Muhlestein devel at muhlesteins.com
Mon Apr 21 10:45:34 MDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 21, 2008 at 10:39 AM, Kyle Waters <unum at unum5.org> wrote:
>    I have a a web application where a certain process ties up 100% of my
> cpu.  If two people are looking at that process both of my cpu's are tied up
> at 100%.  This slows down other people trying to use the database for more
> trivial tasks.  I'd like to prioritize the smaller tasks if possible, or at
> least make it so postgres can't take up 100% of the processor with one task.
> Any suggestions?

Have you spent much time on the cpu intensive task?  It seems suspect
to me to have a db task taking up that much cpu.  There are some
settings in the postgresql.conf file for tuning the amount of memory
available for queries, connections, and certain operations.  I don't
know if any of those can be done on a per-connection basis though.
Either way, it may be possible to rewrite your cpu intensive queries
to be less intrusive.

You might try this resource, or google for additional performance
tuning on Posgresql:
http://www.postgresql.org/files/documentation/books/aw_pgsql/hw_performance/

-Dennis