64-bit - is it worth it?

Hans Fugal hans at fugal.net
Sat Apr 19 09:56:34 MDT 2008

I have an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 2800+ (VIA mobo if that matters).
I've almost always just run 32-bit on it because I haven't been in the
mood to deal with the inevitable issues with 64-bit, and I haven't had a
compelling reason to do so.

But I'm considering switching to 64-bit when I upgrade to the next
version of Ubuntu, Real Soon Now™. The reason is that I think it might
be a substantial enhancement when it comes to transcoding large video
files (i.e. HDTV - I don't have an HDTV and even if I did I'm not nuts
enough about quality to want to allocate 9GB/hr).

I know many of you have been riding the 64-bit wave for some time now.
What are the remaining pitfalls? Will I be constantly fighting with
software to get it to run? This is primarily my wife's desktop computer,
and she primarily does web, email, and OOo.

Also, am I right in thinking it would help in video transcoding? I know
that theoretically it should, but does it in practice with current software?

--
Hans Fugal ; http://hans.fugal.net

     -- Johann Sebastian Bach