(UTOPIA) Tax Alert : Stop 150% tax pledge increase

Levi Pearson levi at cold.org
Sat Apr 19 00:07:42 MDT 2008

Jonathan Duncan <jonathan at bluesunhosting.com> writes:
> Although even with all the strong feelings and many different sides of
> this discussion, I think that as we continue to see other
> perspectives, as shared by each other, that we can broaden our own
> perspectives.  In the end, I think that no matter what our current
> perspectives (read: paradigms, points of view, etc) I think we all
> really just want the same things, freedom to be who we are and the
> ability to help others.  I think this discussion has brought out a lot
> of wonderful information and insight from all who have participated
> thus far.  If we can all take what we have read here and use it not as
> good or bad but as information for us to learn from, I think we will
> continue growing and becoming better people together.

This is, I think, what all the political philosophies and theories are
good for; not for absolute guidance in political decisions, but to
provide different means of thinking about those decisions.  We all
gain a lot more from listening to foreign ideas and reasoning and
attempting to mesh it with our own worldview than we do from
tenaciously clinging to a single idealistic philosophy.  Though the
intellectual purity of the latter is beguiling, it is not likely to be
nearly as helpful in the long run.  Government, as with most aspects
of life, is an ever-changing compromise.  Any attempt to deal with it
that denies that basic fact is doomed to failure.

In the end, despite our different pet philosophies, we really all do
want the same things.  We may disagree on how to get there, but we
should disagree with the understanding that none of us has the one
true map.

                --Levi