(UTOPIA) Tax Alert : Stop 150% tax pledge increase

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Fri Apr 18 23:49:22 MDT 2008

On second though, you deserve a more complete reply.

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 21:58 -0600, Mister E wrote:
> Neither free basic education nor basic health care are basic human
> rights. A huge misconception as of the last few decades and usually more
> common among younger folks.  But the pursuit thereof is a basic right.

Actually, you're wrong too. The only basic rights are those granted by
tooth and claw. The pursuit of happiness is only a right to those strong
enough to seize it.

As an advanced society, we are in a position to extend opportunity to
everyone, not merely to those fortunate enough to be born into the best
conditions. This is pure self interest. By deciding to recognize certain
things as basic right we will extend to everyone, we benefit from the
innovation of the most intelligent and the labor of the most motivated.

Think of it like a scholarship. Why do universities grant scholarships?
It's not that they're altruistic and flush with cash (though some would
like us to believe it), but rather because by convincing the best
students to study instead of pursuing other options (like
entrepreneurship), they enrich the academic environment to the benefit
of all.

> You are a smart
> feller, but a pretense to independence you have not.

Your a smart feller, but you have a tendency to define the world
according to what's most convenient for you. I was clearly talking about
party affiliation.

> ps - taking offense is just a way to attempt control over others, and is
> sometimes used in conjunction with political correctness tactics.  So
> basically it only works on weak-minded individuals and/or those that are
> misinformed.

ps - Don't take offense. I disagree with Bryan, but I respect him. I
don't respect you. I don't appreciate the phony "good ole' boy" tone you
adopt to avoid offending us with your superior intelligence. I don't
appreciate your repeated implications that you are wiser, more
experienced and more just than the rest of us. Don't take offense.