(UTOPIA) Tax Alert : Stop 150% tax pledge increase

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Fri Apr 18 21:35:59 MDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 12:56 -0600, Bryan Sant wrote:
> Let me fist sincerly apologize for pursuing a discipline that
> maximizes the earning potential for me and my family.  I agree that
> people who work hard, study, apply themselves and are ultimately
> rewarded by our evil, greed-driven, capitalist system are despicable
> dogs and should have all that they've worked hard for stripped away
> from them (by force if necessary), and distributed to Liberal Arts
> majors and no-ambition professional welfare recipients (but I repeat
> myself) nation wide.

I should point out that I've always been an Independent with
Conservative tendencies. And ever since reading Ayn Rand I've been
drifting toward Libertarian. (I mention this because your arguments
sound like echoes of hers.) Just ask my coworkers. I'm even offended by
HOAs.

But it's important to realize that Rand was an extremist propagandist.
She wasn't above destroying a marriage for the fun of an affair. Not
exactly the type of person I want to emulate in every particular.

As an independent, I exercises the right to not blindly accept the
policy of a single party.

Some things are simply our responsibility as human beings. Free basic
education is not only a basic human right, but essential to the well
being of our society. Basic health care is the same. As is water at a
reasonable price, and the right to travel anywhere in the nation without
prior government approval. Not merely for the good of the individual,
but for the strength and adaptability of society.

And in the not too distant future, to bring us back on topic, basic
Internet access at an affordable price will probably become so essential
as to rank as a basic human right.