OT: health care was: (UTOPIA) Tax Alert : Stop 150% tax pledge increase

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at bluesunhosting.com
Fri Apr 18 17:43:28 MDT 2008

On 18 Apr 2008, at 15:00, Nicholas Leippe wrote:
> Many good points...
>
> <rather long, rambling post>
> IMO, one of the reasons our health care system is broken is that it
> is not an
> open/free market. Let me explain:
>
> You go to your doctor for a visit. He performs an exam, orders a few
> tests,
> and prescribes some medication, whatever.
>
> Then, his office sends a bill to your health insurance provider.
> Here is one
> place where it falls apart. Your doctor does not know what your
> coverage plan
> will pay for the services, procedures, and tests. So, he bills as
> high an
> amount as he thinks he can. Your insurance responds to him that they
> only
> cover up to $x for an item. They send you an "explanation of
> benefits" report
> that shows this, and then it usually says "provider has accepted
> this as
> payment in full". Why not? Why wouldn't the doctor accept it? He
> just milked
> the maximum amount possible from your health plan--which is
> undoubtedly well
> over what it cost him (otherwise he'd still charge you the
> difference and
> pass it on to you to ensure a profit).
>
> So in short, every time your plan is billed, it pays out the maximum
> amount
> for that item. There is no price competition in this.
>
> Have you ever seen a price sheet at your doctor's office? Have you
> ever been
> able to compare price sheets from different doctors? When was the
> last time
> your doctor even told you how much he would bill your insurance for
> a test
> and then asked you first? This, IMO, is one of the primary reasons
> the costs
> will only continue to rise. People just trust doctors to do what is
> necessary
> for their care. Since most people are ignorant about medicine, just
> like they
> are about cars, doctors have become very much like mechanics--people
> are
> largely at their mercy.
>
> Personally, I wish there were more private doctors like in the days of
> old--you could shop around (how much for a visit?, how much to
> deliver a
> baby?, etc). Quality of service would determine demand--doctors
> would be
> immediately liable for their own success according to their
> competence,
> practices (do follow-ups cost the same as an initial visit?), and
> price. A
> really good doctor could charge more, and expect it. A new or doctor
> w/complaints would have to charge less while they (re)establish
> themselves.

> [...]

Wow, that read like an editorial.  You should send those thoughts in
to some medical magazines.  If you do not mind, I am going to pass
your comments on to my brother who is a medical professional.

One question all of this brings up is, where does the change start?
The end users, health care providers, or insurance companies?  The
answer seems to be all three would need to start making some changes.
I see the insurance companies being the least likely to be interested
in change.  My perspective is most assuredly narrow but it seems like
the insurance companies are the ones making bank off of health care
professionals and health care users.  Seems like doctors should take a
stand and start offering two options.  The first option being to let
insurance pay have the users deal with co-pays and premiums.  The
second option being some sort of payment system like in the old days
where you pay for the services you use directly to the doctor at
reasonable doctor rates and move on with your life.

Great comments.  Thanks!