(UTOPIA) Tax Alert : Stop 150% tax pledge increase

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Thu Apr 17 20:05:27 MDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 11:03 -0600, Bryan Sant wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 8:48 AM, Stuart Jansen <sjansen at buscaluz.org> wrote:
> >  Yeah, the American healthcare system is so much better than Canada and
> >  western Europe.
>
> Probably not the best example to trot out in defense of governmental competence.

You're high paying Java position has blinded you to the situation. Sure,
America's system works for the upper middle-class and above. Maybe even
works better than other countries. But it's horribly inefficient. The
simple fact is, our current system subsidies other nation's health care.
How can can other countries get away with price controls on drugs? We
fund the research with our purchases, while they reap the benefits. It's
simple parasitism, perhaps even economic warfare.

Our health care system puts a significant and growing strain on small
business. It increases employee lock-in. It abuses the poor and
financially vulnerable. It engenders an attitude of entitlement in those
that can afford insurance. It does little to value preventative care.

Of course, not all blame can be heaped on the health care system
directly. A significant part of the blame should also go to our legal
system. Something is wrong when doctors stop practicing because
liability insurance is too expensive. Something is wrong when lawyers
force insurance companies to provide millions of dollars on
extraordinary care for a single patient at the expense of every other
person paying into the system.

It may strike you as inhuman to calculate the value of an eye compared
to a limb, but its an economic reality. I'd argue its more inhuman to
deny health care to the most defenseless in our population while lining
the pockets of CEOs with the money of those who can afford health care.

Of course, I've strayed pretty far from the original topic, so let me
reiterate the thrust of my original response in a single sentence:
Privatization is not always better.