(UTOPIA) Tax Alert : Stop 150% tax pledge increase

Grant Robinson santiago at mr-r.net
Thu Apr 17 17:33:57 MDT 2008

On Apr 17, 2008, at 1:55 AM, Chris wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 10:03 PM, Justin Findlay
> <justin at jfindlay.us> wrote:
>> 0. Choice:
>
> The "choice" argument is interesting.  In my neighborhood, most of the
> residents are senior citizens on fixed incomes who will never reap a
> single benefit from UTOPIA.  Yet their city government has obligated
> them to make good on at least 20 years of bond payments so I can have
> cheap internet service.  Yes, I now have a choice between a couple of
> ISPs, but what "choice" do my neighbors have when it comes time to pay
> the piper for my fiber?

SOME of the member cities pledged money to UTOPIA by way of bonds, but
they are conditional. No money comes out of ANYONE's pocket UNLESS
UTOPIA needs the money.  So far, they haven't, and if all goes well
with this new loan, they won't need to call upon those pledged bonds.
Also, some member cities signed up to be a part of it, but they will
only get UTOPIA when the money becomes available to build things out
in their city through revenues.

You aren't by chance affiliated with the Utah Taxpayers Association?
You are sure spewing back some of the same propaganda. :)

Grant