Ubuntu and Rockbox

Russel Caldwell caldr704 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 13:00:26 MDT 2008

I installed Rockbox on a Sansa e280 mp3 player. The last time I plugged it
into my Ubuntu machine the Rhythmbox Music Player started up which indicated
to me that Ubuntu had mounted the Sansa player but no mount icon appeared on
the desktop, the /media directory or the /mnt directory. I tried many times
but couldn't get it to show. The /files/Music directory that held the music
files had also disappeared on Rockbox.  I finally booted into the default OS
and plugged the device into the computer. This time the mount icon appeared.
I checked to see if the device was set to MSC mode, rather than MTP mode,
(this apprarently allows the device to be mounted like a regular flash
drive) which it was. I changed the name of the music directory on the device
from the computer and then rebooted to Rockbox. At this point Rockbox saw
the music directory. I then plugged the device back into the computer and
the mount icon appeared with Rockbox running. My basic question is why
didn't Ubuntu show the mount icon the first time when Rockbox was running
and what can I do to have Ubuntu mount the device properly while Rockbox is
running without it being a hit and miss proposition?

Thanks.
Russ