(UTOPIA) Tax Alert : Stop 150% tax pledge increase

Thad Van Ry tvanry at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 09:12:43 MDT 2008

On 4/17/08, Chris <plug.org at 2nerds.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 10:32 PM, Steve Meyers <steve-plug at spwiz.com> wrote:
>  >  Perhaps you don't understand fiber optic technology.
>

> Then again, perhaps I do.  Having spent many years of my life working
>  on operating system and protocol software for enterprise-class
>  routers, it's possible that I have a fair understanding of the
>  technologies involved.

Software and Operating Systems != fiber optic technology

>  Yes, fiber will probably go far by today's standards.  But who can
>  predict what will come along in two or three decades?  If you think
>  you can reliably predict which as-yet-invented networking technologies
>  we'll all be using ten years hence, let alone twenty or thirty, I
>  submit that you are kidding yourself. :-)  My own self-deluded
>  prediction is that those technologies, whatever they may be, will make
>  landline fiber-optics look like 9600 baud modems.  And yet we'll still
>  be making payments on UTOPIA bonds.

You're right, who would have though of fiber optics 30 years ago. Oh
wait, fiber optics were thought of over 30 years ago. Technologies for
transporting large amounts of bandwidth don't go from concept to mass
adoption overnight.

>  >  If you read the article I linked to in my last post, you'd see what really
>  > happened.
>
> I think I understand the loan problem.

I read this as "I think I understand the loan problem, so I'm not
going to take the time to read all sides of the story. I'll just learn
about the side I agree with..."

In my community, we have a government subsidized recreation center,
historic museum, performing arts theater, recycling program, amongst
other things. I've never visited the historic museum or the performing
arts theater, however, I still pay for them. I spend a considerable
amount of sales tax money in SLC since I work there. My sales tax
money pays for all sorts of things in SLC that I will never ever even
think of using. As Stuart has already mentioned, that's what comes
with being a part of a community.

Several South Davis Cities recently put forth a 30 year bond to
construct a Recreation Center. I'm fairly certain that technologies
were used in that Recreation Center that will be completely obsolete
in 30 years. Will fiber optics be completely obsolete in 30 years? Not
anymore than copper was completely obsolete 30 years after it was
installed.

Those are my thoughts. Worth exactly what you paid for them.

Thad