(UTOPIA) Tax Alert : Stop 150% tax pledge increase

Stuart Jansen sjansen at buscaluz.org
Thu Apr 17 08:46:25 MDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 01:55 -0600, Chris wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 10:03 PM, Justin Findlay <justin at jfindlay.us> wrote:
> >  0. Choice:
>
> The "choice" argument is interesting.  In my neighborhood, most of the
> residents are senior citizens on fixed incomes who will never reap a
> single benefit from UTOPIA.  Yet their city government has obligated
> them to make good on at least 20 years of bond payments so I can have
> cheap internet service.  Yes, I now have a choice between a couple of
> ISPs, but what "choice" do my neighbors have when it comes time to pay
> the piper for my fiber?

Those same senior citizens no longer have young children, yet their
property taxes fund schools. Some infrastructure is so beneficial to the
community, everyone benefits even if some benefit more directly than
others. For example, my employer is looking for new office space.
Availability of Utopia and puplic transportation are two important
factors that have eliminated most cities. Or does investing in
increasing the tax base by attracting businesses not count? You can be
certain my employer pays a lot more taxes than a gaggle of senior
citizens.

> >  I am not pro UTOPIA, I am pro choice.
>
> You have a funny way of limiting your definition of "choice". :-)

That's that nature of society in a democracy. You vote and then you
accept that you might not get what you want. If you're opposed to roads,
sewer, water and parks you're always free to move out into the desert.