Mysql closing new features -- thoughts?

Gabriel Gunderson gabe at gundy.org
Thu Apr 17 08:09:05 MDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 09:48 -0400, Grant Shipley wrote:
> Seems very odd that Sun has recently taken the stand that open source
> is good (Java) but then does this with some features of MySql.

I'll take a stab at it.

     1. This was decided before Sun picked up MySQL.  It sounds like it
        might change yet.
     2. MySQL AB has always been kinda lame about the GPL as it
        pertained to their DB server.  Especially around the idea of
        linking to the database and therefore requiring you to either
        buy a commercial copy or GPL your product.  Clearly, this is
        Open Source FUD.
     3. Some level of DB abstraction can save your skin.
     4. PostgreSQL rocks.

BTW, I think Sun will get this right in time.

Gabe