Mysql closing new features -- thoughts?

Grant Shipley gshipley at
Thu Apr 17 07:48:30 MDT 2008

Recent article on slashdot ----

This is not meant to be a flame war so please don't pollute my post
with such comments.

I am wondering what the group thinks about this. ---

We (my company) have spent a lot of time an money recently getting our
applications geared up for a major shift away from two other database
systems to mysql.  Having read this article today I got a sick feeling
in my stomach that maybe we are making the wrong move.  I am not sure
I completely understand whats going to happen but it sounds like new
features will be developed in a non open source fashion (backup etc).

Couple of reference points:
Read the comment by Marten Mickos (third comment down from top)

Seems very odd that Sun has recently taken the stand that open source
is good (Java) but then does this with some features of MySql.