Mysql closing new features -- thoughts?

Grant Shipley gshipley at gmail.com
Thu Apr 17 07:48:30 MDT 2008

Recent article on slashdot ----

This is not meant to be a flame war so please don't pollute my post
with such comments.

I am wondering what the group thinks about this. ---

We (my company) have spent a lot of time an money recently getting our
applications geared up for a major shift away from two other database
systems to mysql.  Having read this article today I got a sick feeling
in my stomach that maybe we are making the wrong move.  I am not sure
I completely understand whats going to happen but it sounds like new
features will be developed in a non open source fashion (backup etc).

Couple of reference points:

http://jcole.us/blog/archives/2008/04/14/just-announced-mysql-to-launch-new-features-only-in-mysql-enterprise/
Read the comment by Marten Mickos (third comment down from top)

http://blogs.mysql.com/kaj/2008/04/15/anthropology-sun-studies-mysql/

Seems very odd that Sun has recently taken the stand that open source
is good (Java) but then does this with some features of MySql.

--
grant