(UTOPIA) Tax Alert : Stop 150% tax pledge increase

Chris plug.org at 2nerds.com
Thu Apr 17 02:49:51 MDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 10:32 PM, Steve Meyers <steve-plug at spwiz.com> wrote:
>  Perhaps you don't understand fiber optic technology.

Then again, perhaps I do.  Having spent many years of my life working
on operating system and protocol software for enterprise-class
routers, it's possible that I have a fair understanding of the
technologies involved.

Yes, fiber will probably go far by today's standards.  But who can
predict what will come along in two or three decades?  If you think
you can reliably predict which as-yet-invented networking technologies
we'll all be using ten years hence, let alone twenty or thirty, I
submit that you are kidding yourself. :-)  My own self-deluded
prediction is that those technologies, whatever they may be, will make
landline fiber-optics look like 9600 baud modems.  And yet we'll still
be making payments on UTOPIA bonds.

>  If you read the article I linked to in my last post, you'd see what really
> happened.

I think I understand the loan problem.  The objective measures I have
in mind are the "take rate" and the revenue per subscriber figures,
both of which are reported to have fallen short of projections, and
both of which are unrelated to the loan problems.  Those two objective
measures relate directly to the overall financial success of the
project and hence have some power to predict the probability that the
city governments will be called upon to make good on bond payments.

Chris