(UTOPIA) Tax Alert : Stop 150% tax pledge increase

Steve Meyers steve-plug at spwiz.com
Wed Apr 16 22:32:48 MDT 2008

Chris wrote:
> From the beginning, UTOPIA hasn't passed the smell test.  To see how
> misguided it is, one need look no further than the original 20-year
> mortgage.  If someone today offered you a free copy of today's most
> powerful computer, would you take it if it meant you couldn't use any
> other computer for the next 20 years?  How about 30 years?   But
> that's what UTOPIA does: it saddles citizens with 20 (or 30) years of
> debt obligations on something with a lifespan of a decade, at best.
> And like most government programs, those who pay vastly outnumber
> those who benefit.

Perhaps you don't understand fiber optic technology.  The whole reason
they went with that is because they can upgrade the entire network
simply by replacing some equipment.  Fiber optics can scale a LOT higher
than they're currently using.  I don't think they're even sure what the
limit is.

> If the news reports are to be believed, UTOPIA has failed to meet its
> own objective measures.  (Shock!)  And those objective measures were
> supposed to be conservative.  It's a boondoggle, plain and simple.
> When is enough enough?

If you read the article I linked to in my last post, you'd see what
really happened.  They got approved for a loan from the federal
government that never actually came through.  In the meantime, they've
had to basically halt their buildout.  They've decided to give up on the
feds, and are basically consolidating their existing loans into a single
loan that doesn't rely on the feds.

Join the bandwagon.  Get UTOPIA!