(UTOPIA) Tax Alert : Stop 150% tax pledge increase

Chris plug.org at 2nerds.com
Wed Apr 16 19:48:23 MDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 5:47 PM, Jonathan Duncan
<jonathan at bluesunhosting.com> wrote:
> Sometimes I am quicker to leap than others.  I will go back to
> hoping UTOPIA gets to my neighborhood sooner than later and I will be even
> more wary of the Utah Taxpayer Association on this and other topics.

I'm not so sure you leaped prematurely.

The UTA is closer to the truth than the UTOPIA apologists.

The apologists' arguments are old, tediously repetitive, and inevitably wrong.

>From the beginning, UTOPIA hasn't passed the smell test.  To see how
misguided it is, one need look no further than the original 20-year
mortgage.  If someone today offered you a free copy of today's most
powerful computer, would you take it if it meant you couldn't use any
other computer for the next 20 years?  How about 30 years?   But
that's what UTOPIA does: it saddles citizens with 20 (or 30) years of
debt obligations on something with a lifespan of a decade, at best.
And like most government programs, those who pay vastly outnumber
those who benefit.

If the news reports are to be believed, UTOPIA has failed to meet its
own objective measures.  (Shock!)  And those objective measures were
supposed to be conservative.  It's a boondoggle, plain and simple.
When is enough enough?

All IMHO, of course. :-)

Chris