(UTOPIA) Tax Alert : Stop 150% tax pledge increase

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at bluesunhosting.com
Wed Apr 16 17:47:15 MDT 2008

On 16 Apr 2008, at 08:23, Andrew Jorgensen wrote:

> I'd been wondering where the original post was.  Finally found it in
> my spam folder.
>
> One factor I use when deciding if I agree with someone is how much
> crap they blow while telling me their opinion.  If they have to resort
> to half-truths and other propaganda tactics: "150% increase in sales
> tax [(cough) pledges]" then I'm disinclined to agree with them.  It
> shows that they think their opinion is on shaky ground.  That they
> don't have enough real truth to back up their emotional stance, or
> that they are too lazy to gather the actual numbers.
>
> On a similar, but completely off-topic note I'm still waiting to hear
> a completely reasonable and honest anti-[insert religion here]
> argument.  The anti-scientology croud, for instance blows an awful lot
> of crap such that even if they're right I still don't want to agree.
>
> So what I'm getting at is if you want me to agree with you don't use
> half-truths or emotional arguments.  Just tell me the facts and let me
> make up my own mind.  If you're right I'll probably agree with you.
>
> Jonathan, I know those weren't your words.  I am undecided on UTOPIA.
> Not commenting on your position just on the taxpayers association's
> tactics.  I will say that it sucks that years later we still don't
> have a complete roll-out.
>
> I used to think Spanish Fork was lame for doing their own cable
> internet service while UTOPIA was already being planned but on the
> other hand they have ubiquity already.  There is not a single service
> address in the city that isn't already hooked up and ready to go.  How
> they manage that network is another issue entirely but they do have
> complete coverage.

Thank you all very much.  You have opened my eyes a bit more to this
situation and helped me keep my motto of never taking anything at face
value.  Sometimes I am quicker to leap than others.  I will go back to
hoping UTOPIA gets to my neighborhood sooner than later and I will be
even more wary of the Utah Taxpayer Association on this and other
topics.

Thanks all for the valuable resource that this group is.