SAN drives not visible

Nathan kemotaha at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 13:23:53 MDT 2008

On Wed, 2008-04-16 at 08:52 -0600, Derek Davis wrote:
> I'm running Gentoo on a Dell PowerEdge 2550, with a PowerVault 650F
> connected by fiber to a qlogic card.  Linux detects the card, and even
> sees all the drives just fine.  However, I can't access the drives.
>
> dmesg shows each drive being detected, though it gives an error about
> using 520 bytes sectors rather than 512.  Devices are created, both sd
> and sg, for all the drives.  However, if I try to access those devices
> using head or fdisk, it fails.  fdisk /dev/sda will immediately fail,
> saying it can't read the device.  head -c10 /dev/sg0 will just hang
> till I kill it.  fdisk -l doesn't list those devices, nor are they in
> /proc/partitions.  Apparently, there's supposed to be a qla2xxx
> directory in /proc/scsi, but I don't have one.
>
> Any thoughts as to how I can get access to these drives?  Is it the
> formatting?  If so, can I get access without reformatting?  Or might
> it be a configuration option?  I just booted up linux, with the qlogic
> firmware in /lib/firmware, but did no other configuration, since I
> don't know how to deal with this type of device.  I just need to be
> able to write to the raw devices.  So far, Google hasn't helped me.

It sounds like the wrong drivers are being detected.  There are a bunch
of different qlogic drivers.  Some even require other drivers to be
loaded.  I would take the model of the card and go to qlogic's site and
see what driver they recommend for the card.  It might be a different
one from the one that is loaded.

The other possibility is that you might need to pass some parameters to
the driver as it gets loaded.  This is usually done in
the /etc/modprobe.conf file but varies, distro to distro.  I am not sure
how gentoo handles it.

Nathan Blackham