(UTOPIA) Tax Alert : Stop 150% tax pledge increase

Andrew Jorgensen andrew.jorgensen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 16 08:23:46 MDT 2008

> > From: "The Utah Taxpayers Association" <taxwatch at utahtaxpayers.org>
> > Date: 14 April 2008 11:21:08 MDT
> > Subject: Tax Alert : Stop 150% tax pledge increase
> >
> > Experiment with socialized telecom has failed, yet member cities are
> considering 150% increase in their tax pledges.

I'd been wondering where the original post was.  Finally found it in
my spam folder.

One factor I use when deciding if I agree with someone is how much
crap they blow while telling me their opinion.  If they have to resort
to half-truths and other propaganda tactics: "150% increase in sales
tax [(cough) pledges]" then I'm disinclined to agree with them.  It
shows that they think their opinion is on shaky ground.  That they
don't have enough real truth to back up their emotional stance, or
that they are too lazy to gather the actual numbers.

On a similar, but completely off-topic note I'm still waiting to hear
a completely reasonable and honest anti-[insert religion here]
argument.  The anti-scientology croud, for instance blows an awful lot
of crap such that even if they're right I still don't want to agree.

So what I'm getting at is if you want me to agree with you don't use
half-truths or emotional arguments.  Just tell me the facts and let me
make up my own mind.  If you're right I'll probably agree with you.

Jonathan, I know those weren't your words.  I am undecided on UTOPIA.
Not commenting on your position just on the taxpayers association's
tactics.  I will say that it sucks that years later we still don't
have a complete roll-out.

I used to think Spanish Fork was lame for doing their own cable
internet service while UTOPIA was already being planned but on the
other hand they have ubiquity already.  There is not a single service
address in the city that isn't already hooked up and ready to go.  How
they manage that network is another issue entirely but they do have
complete coverage.