[OT] Promoting a Geek-Friendly Work Culture

Jonathan Duncan jonathan at bluesunhosting.com
Tue Apr 15 14:51:30 MDT 2008

On 14 Apr 2008, at 11:17, Lars Rasmussen wrote:
> Does anyone have suggestions for promoting a geek culture at their
> workplace?
>
> Please assume a high-level of productivity/good work ethic already
> exists.
> I know geek culture can mean lots of things, but here are some
> examples(could be 'team building' activities):
>
> -going to the movies to see sci-fi/comic book/fantasy movies during
> the workday/extended lunch
> -playing board games in a conference room(Killer Bunnies, Munchkin,
> Power Grid, etc..)
> -cube wars to bleed off stress(we throw foam balls at each other)
> -media server(I'm curious as to how this is implemented at various
> organizations)

There is a great list going here.  Someone should make all these
comments into an article and post it on plug.org.

Here we play foosball at lunch and some days we play TeamFortress 2 or
some other LAN game.  We have a book club that has been quite
interesting.  One employee just organized a talent night.  Some of us
play soccer at lunch or on weekends.  Our company sponsored us to be a
team at a local indoor soccer league during the winter.

Anything that gets the geeks interacting is usually a good thing.
Team spirit is extremely valuable.